Most of our clients will have spoken to more than one architect before they employ us. From what they tell us, architects’ quotes can vary quite wildly not just in price but in their offering too. Is this something you have found as you have been interviewing? If you’re comparing quotes from different architects for a project, here are some tips:
Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Ensure that each architect has provided a quote for the same scope of work, including the same design specifications and that the value of the services they are offering is the same. For instance, are they all offering an end-to-end service? Are there stages that require you to do work that other architects will take care of?
Look at the breakdown of costs. Ask each architect to provide a detailed breakdown of costs, so you can compare stage by stage. You might see fees for each RIBA work stage (0-7) Or as we like to break the stages down – Design, Planning, Technical and Site Support. This will help you identify any areas where one quote may be higher or lower than another. Make sure to find out what kind of costs you are looking at, are they fixed? Or have you been provided with an hourly rate for work? If it is the latter, can the architect give you an estimated time scale for the work?
Consider the architect’s experience and expertise. While cost is an important factor, don’t forget to take into account the architect’s experience and track record. Look at their portfolio of work and ask for references from past clients.
Consider their communication and collaboration skills. The success of your project will depend on your ability to work effectively with your architect. And it’s important to like each other too!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you’re unsure about any aspect of the quotes or the architect’s experience, don’t hesitate to ask questions. A good architect will be happy to answer your questions and provide any additional information you need to make an informed decision.
Why should I choose a more experienced architect?
Choosing a more experienced architect for your project can offer a number of benefits, including:
- Expertise and Knowledge: An experienced architect will have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in their field. They will have encountered a wide variety of design challenges and will have developed strategies to overcome them. This experience will enable them to produce designs that are more creative, efficient, and cost-effective. Some architects, for instance, will only offer services to the planning stage, something that can sometimes crop up is that these architects do not always have the up to date knowledge on construction costs, so you may not have as accurate costings at the design stage. This is the kind of area where experience matters. A good architect will be able to advise you of construction costs and other associated costs with your project. Find out how much your whole project might cost you here:
2. Better Project Management: Experienced architects have developed their project management skills over many years, allowing them to better manage the entire design and construction process. This means that they can anticipate and manage issues more effectively, helping to ensure that the project stays on schedule and within budget. At BBD Architects we offer an end-to-end service which includes supporting you on-site. This way you are ensuring that the design, that you spend time, effort and money designing, is what you get in the end.
3. Their Professional Network: Experienced architects have developed strong relationships with other professionals in the industry, including contractors, engineers, and consultants as well as with Local Authorities. These relationships can be invaluable when it comes to getting the necessary approvals, finding qualified contractors, and resolving any issues that may arise during the construction process.
4. Quality Assurance: An experienced architect will have a well-established quality assurance process in place to ensure that the project meets the highest standards of design and construction. This means that they will be able to identify and correct any issues before they become major problems.
5. Greater Value for Money: While experienced architects may charge more for their services, their expertise and efficiency can ultimately save you money in the long run. They can help you avoid costly mistakes, negotiate better deals with contractors, and ensure that the project is completed on time and within budget.
So how exactly do you find the best architect for your project? Click HERE to find out exactly what you need to do to find the right person to design your home.
If you have any further questions, drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Or if you want to get your own quote for our architectural services, book a complimentary consultation with us via the link: https://bit.ly/2VlTB8y
Thanks for reading
Written by Emily Hamblin and Verity Lovelock March 2023